Nature of Work, Essential Functions & KSA's
NATURE OF WORK
- Performs various municipal accounting operations to include processing income tax returns and utility service applications.
- Answers incoming telephone calls and assists walk-in customers by providing information.
- Responds to and resolves difficult inquiries and complaints from citizens and other agencies.
- Prepares various department correspondence.
- Maintains important records efficiently and accurately and prepares clear and concise reports.
- Processes cash and non-cash payment transactions ensuring accuracy; reconciles transactions and balance reports.
- Skill in effective communication with departmental staff and citizens.
- Skill in attention to detail and maintaining a high level of accuracy over extended periods of time.
- Skill in prioritizing workload and managing time.
- Knowledge of computer operations and equipment.
- Basic knowledge of accounting practices and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of current electronic communication methods including email, social networking, and other forms of electronic communication.
- Knowledge of City codes and ordinances pertaining to income tax collections and/or utility ordinances (after training).
- The ability to evaluate and analyze customer needs to provide exceptional customer services.
- The ability to respond courteously to customer inquiries, which are sometimes controversial or adversarial.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City employees, supervisory personnel, associates and the general public.
- The ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- The ability to perform detailed work involving written and numerical data and to follow complex oral and written instructions.
- The ability to perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
- The ability to operate a personal computer and related software / programs required to perform essential functions of the position; including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, websites, etc.
- The ability to perform duties accurately and efficiently under time sensitive deadlines.
- The ability to learn and explain regulatory compliance issues related to the assigned department / division's function.
- The ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or instructions.
Illustrative Examples of Work / Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Determine customer needs through interviewing and communication / information exchange.
- Opens incoming mail and sorts for follow-up.
- Receipt and posting of cash transactions and completing bank deposit processes.
- Provides data entry services, faxing, typing and filing in support of department / division functions.
- Processes payment transactions and makes deposits, as warranted.
- Prepares daily and periodic reports as required.
- Prepares follow-up correspondence with customers.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- The primary duties of this position are performed in a public office-building environment.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and to communicate effectively with others in person and over the telephone.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions and review, evaluate, and prepare a variety of written materials and documents.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment and a personal computer.
- Sufficient mobility and flexibility, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office environment.
Training, Experience, and Qualifications
- Any combination of training and experience which will indicate possession of the skills, knowledge and abilities listed above.
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Must be honest, dependable and trustworthy.
Supplemental Information / Special Requirements
This position may cross-train in one or more areas of department functions.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (as related to work performed in the Utility Billing Division):
- Receives, reviews and processes applications for utility services.
- Prepares and processes service work orders for City services including but not limited to water turn-on & turn-offs, water meter installation, meter tests, meter reads, checks for leaks and verification of services.
- Responds verbally (either in person or over the telephone) or in writing to difficult complaint calls relating to billing policies and procedures.
- Inputs, retrieves and updates customer data and account status related to utility billing accounts into computerized billing system.
- Processes utility payments, checks payment for accuracy, makes decisions regarding payment arrangements; bill adjustments and small dollar write offs.
- Analyzes delinquent accounts and makes determination regarding appropriate action.
- Processes non-sufficient fund checks, reviews record and documentation for accuracy, verifies insufficient funds and makes arrangements for disconnection of services, if appropriate.
- Prepares notices, door hangers and correspondence concerning service shut-offs and termination of services; coordinates action with field personnel.
- Dispatches field personnel as necessary.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (as related to work performed in the Income Tax Division):
- Preparation of municipal income tax returns for taxpayers requesting assistance.
- Review and verify the accuracy of municipal income tax returns filed.
- Receipt of income tax payments with related forms and documents.
- Preparation and reconciliation of daily income tax reports with corresponding bank deposits and income tax database system.
This position is part of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees agreement. Details about the compensation and benefits for this position can be found in the agreement by clicking here.
The class specification which appears above is intended to be sufficient merely to identify the class and be illustrative of the kinds of duties that may be assigned to the position allocated to the class and should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties which may be required of employees holding a position assigned to this class.
The City of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), the City of Delaware will provide reasonable accommodations, upon reasonable request, to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.